Saturday, November 05, 2005

Healthy In Paranoid Times, the review. :)

Okay, this has been promised for some time, and only Steve will care, but here goes anyway. Overall, this album is decent. I say this with some degree of sadness as it used to be that I loved (and still do) every track on the first four albums of OLP. Gravity grew on me after a while, but I don't really have the same connection to it as I do the others. Oh, and the fact that they name-check Greenpeace in the liner notes pisses me off to no end. This new album alternates from songs I love (Angels/Losing/Sleep) to songs that are real head-scratchers (Where Are You, The World On A String). Well, let's begin.

Angels/Losing/Sleep - This is my favourite song on this album, which is also going to be the second single released. Lyrically, much like the rest of the album, it seems more simplistic than Raine's earlier work, but it's not laughable like Where Are You is (I'll get to that later). Come to think of it, the lyrics are rather cliche, but so are the ones from a lot the bands I like. Oh well. :) It must also be mentioned that I seem to have an affinity for songs with phrases like "I'll wait" (Angels/Losing/Sleep), or "I'm waiting" (I'm Waiting - The Watchmen & Fire In the Head - The Tea Party). There, I said it. This song doesn't sound much like most of OLP's previous work, which drew me to it immediately. It's right up there with my other OLP faves.

Will The Future Blame Us - This song is solid, if lyrically benign. The guitars are pretty good here, and it's a nice mix. So, is Raine being sarcastic when he says he doesn't ask why anymore? I don't get it - Mr. Angsty activist giving up? :)

Picture - This song reminds me of Blister, but only if you made it heavier. :) And since I really liked Blister, I also like this song, just not as much. The line "Don't take my picture down" is one that like because I find it somewhat evocative. I imagine that's the first thing my ex-girlfriend did when she became so cold toward me so suddenly. :P

Where Are You - Puzzling, this song is. The lyrics go all over the place and don't make sense. This is OLP, not MSI, so somewhat cogent lyrics are expected. :) It doesn't help that I have the imagery from the video in my head now, which is so bad it makes the US version of Superman's Dead look decent by comparison. This song just isn't very good, but it has entertainment value in that it's so funny, albeit unintentionally.

Wipe That Smile Off Your Face - I first heard this song live at Edgefest 2003 during the OLP set, and I thought it was okay, but not great. I kept waiting for it to rock, and it never quite did. The album version is better, but the song still plods along.

Love And Trust - Steve Johns will probably find this song at least as offensive as Where Are You, if only for the fact that it contains the oft-repeated phrase, "it's the state of love and trust". Isn't 'State of Love and Trust' a song by some other band? :) It's an all right tune, I like it, and it brings the album back from the depths reached by the last two songs. :)

Boy - Hmm, don't have much to say about this one, it might just be my crappy setup, but the vocal mix is somewhat drowned out by the guitars. Another song which prompts a "Meh." from me. :)

Apology - A very very simple song lyrically, so much so, that many reviewers chose this track to be the subject of their vitriol. I just shrug my shoulders and wonder what Raine did to upset Chantal. :) Just kidding, everyone. :)

The World On A String - Ugh. So, so horrible. What the hell is this crap? Lyrically confusing and sonically disturbing, it makes me wish the guys had rethought the inclusion of this track. Couldn't they have just put Trapeze here instead? :) At least it doesn't ruin the album, as I just skip this track and continue on.

Don't Stop - Not too bad a track, and after listening to the previous track (if you listened all the way through) it sounds like Rockin' In The Free World by comparison. :)

Walking In Circles - I also heard this song live at Edgefest 2003, and it was notable for Raine really becoming animated on stage during the performance - really drew the crowd in despite not knowing the song (well, most of us anyway). I always think of that performance that day when I listen to this song and smile. This song and the next redeem the album from the poor tunes mentioned.

Al Genina (Leave The Light On) - Short and sweet, this song ends the album on a positive note. It's spare and hauntingly beautiful, I really love this one.

There you have it! Healthy In Paranoid Times is a decent album, but it in no way recalls the band's past triumphs. Still, whenever the band actually plays a venue that won't immediately sell out, I'll be there. That Edgefest show was the last time I've seen them live, and I haven't seen them play a show on any of their headlining tours since Feb. 5, 1998. So, I'll wait and hope for that OLP show, and that they don't play The World On A String. :)-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home